IASTopper.com’s Sociology Optional Testseries :-
“Sociology is the science of talk, and there is only one law in sociology. Bad talk drives out good.” – Frank Knight
Dear Aspirants ,
Sociology has always been a preferred optional subject in UPSC Civil Services Examination. With no special knowledge or specific academic background required for the preparation of Sociology as an optional subject, students have been obtaining high scores in the UPSC Main examination.
All a student needs is the basic understanding of the topics and its inter linkages. Students may score high provided they are guided in the right direction.
Why is Sociology chosen by Aspirants as an Optional Subject ?
Scoring subject & short syllabus: Sociology is considered a scoring subject and this is one of the main reasons for its popularity. Its success ratio is also pretty high. With a relatively short syllabus, candidates can ideally complete within 4 months if they work sincerely.
Ample study material: There is ample study material available for this subject.
No background needed: Candidates with any academic background can opt for sociology optional and study it without any difficulty. It is very likely that candidates will have at least a basic idea of some of the concepts of sociology. Concepts like family, religion, etc. are familiar and can be encountered in the daily newspapers often. It is generally considered an interesting subject.
Overlap with other papers: There is a degree of overlap of sociology with the other papers in the UPSC exam. In the General Studies Paper 1, about 40 – 50 marks can be from sociology-related topics.
Take a look at the topics from the GS papers that can be done well with the help of sociology optional:
GS Paper I
- a)Political philosophies such as capitalism, communism, socialism, etc. and their effects on society.
- b)Highlights of Indian society, Diversity in India.
- c)Impacts of globalisation on Indian culture.
- d)Role of women and women’s organisation, poverty and developmental issues, population and associated issues, urbanization.
- e)Social empowerment, communalism, secularism and regionalism.
GS Paper II
- a)Pressure groups and formal/informal associations, their role in the polity.
- b)Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population, mechanisms, laws, institutions and bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of vulnerable sections.
- c)Development processes and the development industry – the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- d)Education, Human Resources.
- e)Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to health.
- f)Civil services in a democracy.
- g)Issues relating to poverty and hunger.
GS Paper III
- a)Land reforms in India.
- b)Comprehensive development and issues emerging from it.
- c)Development and spread of extremism linkage – Naxalism.
- d)Changes in industrial policy, impacts of liberalization on the economy, and their outcome on industrial growth.
GS Paper IV
- *Human Values- role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values; reformers and administrators, lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders.
Even in the Essay paper, at least a couple of essays can be written well and in a systematic manner because of the sociology optional because the topics would be about social problems and the like. Examples of a few essay topics that were asked in the IAS mains exam with a connection to sociology:
- 1.Destiny of a nation is shaped in its classrooms.
- 2.Fulfillment of new woman in India is a myth.
- 3.Does Indian cinema shape our popular culture or merely reflect it?
- 4.The Indian society at the crossroads.
- 5.The composite culture of India.
Finally, even in the UPSC personality test, sociology optional can help you. Many of the questions asked is based on social problems and current affairs. So, a knowledge of sociology can give you an added advantage.
Considering all these factors we have come up with a comprehensive Test series for Sociology.
We have divided the entire syllabus into small coverable parts that can be covered in days given in schedule. Within time frame, candidates can appear for a Test on the topics in well prepared manner. This will
a)help in checking their preparation on the topics mentioned.
b)get feedback and marks on the paper they have written.
c)cover the syllabus in a disciplined manner, which is otherwise difficult.
d)become aware of issues and questions on the topics being prepared.
This is also especially useful for those who have just begun, as they are often not aware of important issues from examination point of view and end up studying things a little randomly and endlessly.
IASTOPPER.COM will provide a locus and focus approach while dealing with the syllabus.
Timely tests help you understand what to focus on while studying, and make studying exam oriented, and organized and get Top 10 Rank in Civil Services exam
Primary Focus of Integrated Guidance Program:-
The Primary Focus of the Program will be
- a)Covering the entire syllabus via the Test Series in a disciplined manner before the Mains Examination.
- b)Providing vital inputs and feedback to improve answer quality and possible scores before it too late to make changes in one’s writing style. Beginning early helps in both improving the answers as well as absorbing the inputs given and implementing them..
- c)Providing Detailed Solutions to cover all dimensions of questions asked.
- d)Aiding Preparation by providing notes/articles on important topics related to Current Affairs.
SOME SPECIAL FEATURES OF IASTopper’s Sociology Optional Testseries :-
- 1.This holistic program comprises of 3 Tiers Approach to provide comprehensive understanding of all important topics and improve ANSWER WRITING SKILLS. The philosophy behind this program is to go beyond test series by providing continuous guidance to the students in just 4 months.
- *Tier 1: UPSC Pattern Mock Test designed as per the latest pattern of questions being asked in Sociology optional paper. Questions act as trigger for learning what is required for the Main Exam.
- *Tier 2: Personal Mentoring Sessions to each student for personalized feedback and continuous improvement in Answer Writing.
- *Tier 3: Quality Enrichment Video Discussions for each paper to add value through ‘Keywords’ and ‘Structure/Presentation Improvement’ of answers
- 2.The most relied All India Test Series, so that every candidate can know where he stand among the REST OF HIS COMPETITORS.
- 3.There will be 12 sectional tests and 6 full length tests.
- 4.Detailed Syllabus for each test along with sources to study will be uploaded on our platform’
- 5.Mode of communication will be online
- 6.On due date :
- *Question paper , answer sheet and detailed solution will be sent to the enrolled students through e-mail .
- *You will have to send your answer sheet in pdf format (you can use camscanner app)
- *Evaluated Answer sheet will be reverted back within 10 working days.
- 7.Detailed and high quality solutions for each test will be provided ..
- 8.Complete flexibility in taking up the tests as per your suitability until tenth day of particular test .
- 9.There will be an extraordinary attention on answer writing with continuous feedback and improvement. There will be weekly One on One discussion with mentor..
- 10.All doubts will be clarified via E-mail, whatsapp , telegram or telephone .
- 11.The focus will be on bringing conceptual clarity and answer writing especially for first time aspirants so that they can compete with experienced candidates on equal footing in Mains 2020
IASTOPPER.COM is offering the best of the facilities for all aspirants to master the art of answer writing to score 300+ in Optional Subject in Mains.
It is time for you to gear up your preparation and master the art of answer writing under the guidance of the IASTopper’s experts faculty.
CLICK HERE to Subscribe Sociology Testseries